May 13, 2011

Spicy Popcorn Chicken

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


So there's very little doubt that these 40 minute buns are a super hit (they even made it into the top 10!) but did you know they were a replacement recipe for a previous hamburger bun recipe? Since the updated recipe is my go-to one and seems to be for others as well, then most y'all may not know about a recipe buried within the older bun recipe for spicy chicken sandwiches. Have I confused you yet? Let's make it simple: there's a great recipe for spicy chicken sandwiches that doesn't get any attention so how about we shine some light on it?

Except, that I'm not going to make the exact same thing (so much for losing the original recipe, AGAIN). I was looking for a side accompaniment to our dinner the other night and decided to do some chicken nuggets for the kids but wanted to kick it up for the grown-ups. Using the spicy chicken sandwich as my guide, I whipped up a batch of these spicy nuggets.


Of course you can stick to the classic and just do the recipe with larger pieces of chicken. This recipe as written is not spicy enough for us  (the heat seems to get lost in the flour, I guess) so if you prefer thinks really spicy then follow my advice and quadruple (yes, that means 4 times!) the cayenne pepper amount like I did and you'll start to notice some heat ;)



Spicy Popcorn Chicken

Enough vegetable oil to deep fry
1/3 cup frank's original red hot pepper sauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I quadruple this amount, please don't think I'm crazy!)
1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces (season with salt and pepper to taste)
4 plain hamburger buns


1.Heat-up oil for deep frying

2. Pour the hot sauce in a shallow bowl. In a seperate bowl, mix the flour cayenne pepper, blackpepper,garlic powder. Divide this mixture into two seperate bowls.

3. Dredge each chicken piece in one bowl of the dry mixture, then dip into the hot sauce and back into a second bowl of the dry mixture.
Repeat until you've coated all the pieces.

4. Carefully lower pieces into hot oil using a slotted spoon and fry until evenly golden brown. Be careful not to over-crowd your pan or the chicken will not have a crispy crust. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or make one yourself by mixing low-fat mayo and hot sauce.

13 comments:

  1. Salam! First time commenting but I've been following your blog for a couple of months now. You have amazing stuff on here! I believe you're acquainted with my sister...Sumica.

    Anyway, these nuggets look so good...I will be making these soon, Insha'allah.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walaikum Salaam HijabiMommy! Jazakillah khair for your kind comments! Coming from you (super mom/cook/craft queen - Masha'allah!), it means a lot! Yes, I do know and love your sweet sister!! Wondering if that means I ever met you? hmm, either way, I absolutely LOVE your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious masha'Allah! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazak Allah Khair for all the recipes! Quick question what if I wanted to make this without the hot sauce what could I subsitute, I dont want to use eggs either. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazakillahu khair Nourhan & Umm Timo! In place of hot sauce you can use any condiment (bbq sauce, dressing, ketchup,etc), the more flavorful the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asalamualikum!!! OMG I made this last night and the famly loved it! Thank you for sharing all the good recipes with us :)

    Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walaikum Salaam Wafaa! Aww, I'm SO happy they liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ӏ've been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's ρretty worth
    enough foг me. Pеrsοnally, іf all ωebsіte
    owners and bloggeгs mаde goοd content as you did, the internet ωill be
    much moгe useful than ever befoгe.


    Μy ωеb ρage; iphone repair malacca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am гeally imρrеѕsed with youг wгiting skills
    as well as with the layout on уour blog. Is thіs a paid theme or ԁiԁ уou
    custοmizе it yourself? Eitheг wау keep up thе nice
    quality ωrіting, іt iѕ rаre to seе a
    gгeat blog like this оne nοwadays.

    Μy ωeb page: ipad repair kl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Attгactіve sеction οf сontent.
    I juѕt stumbleԁ uрon your blog anԁ
    in aссeѕsiоn cаpital to аѕsert that I gеt aсtually еnјoyeԁ acсоunt yοur blog
    ροstѕ. Any wаy I ωill be subscrіbing to уour fеedѕ and even
    I аchievement you access consistently fast.


    Look intο mу ωeb раge iphone repair kl

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've learn this
    put up anԁ if I may juѕt I wish to recоmmenԁ you some attentіon-gгabbing
    iѕѕueѕ οr tips. Perhaps you could wгite ѕubsequent artісlеs refеrring to this article.
    ӏ dеsirе tо leaгn more issueѕ aрprοximatеly it!


    Аlso vіsit my sіte ...

    wiredtree hosting

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! As always, feedback and reviews are appreciated...happy cooking!